Health and fitness program for mountain travelers
A expedition doctor, sports medicine doctor, cardiologist and physiotherapist will help you prepare for your big trip.
Trips to the mountains have always been an activity mainly for young explorers but in recent years, due to improving infrastructure and evolving tourism, many high mountain areas have become accessible to people of all ages who enjoy active travel. With proper preparation and care anyone can travel and experience the mountains.
Common chronic illnesses such as arterial hypertension, coronary heart disease, diabetes or bronchial astma doesen’t need to be a hinder for spectacular journeys to high mountains such as Kilimanjaro, mount blanc, Elbrus or even Everest.
Of course, for your safety you must be well prepared physically and have knowledge of how to prevent a condition from causing complications and knowledge of what to do in case of an emergency.
Key components in preparation.
- Know your health (and/or illness) and the effects of high altitudes and increased physical activity can cause.
- Know your physical capacity and adapt training according to your abilities.
- Knowledge of the risk, symptoms and basic principles of prevention of mountain sickness.
- Get relevant vaccinations recommended for travelers.
- Have your own personal first aid and medicine kit, know how and when to use it.
Paliesius Clinic offers a health and fitness assessment program for climbers and mountain travelers to help you prepare.
You will be advised by a certified mountain medicine doctor, experienced sports physicians, cardiologists and physiotherapists, and an experienced mountaineering and climbing coach will create and help you follow your personal training plan. Your health status, risk factors and physical fitness will be assessed, and recommendations will be provided on a variety of travel issues (from vaccinations and prophylaxis to a personal medicine kit and training plan).
It is recommended to apply at least 3-5 months before the trip.
How does it work?
The first part of the program will take place in Vilnius, Paliesius Clinic where you will have consultations and pre-testing and the second part in Paliesius manor with follow up testing and practical sessions.
The first stage in Vilnius
|-Discussion of the direction and nature of the trip -Risk assessment of mountain sickness and selection of prevention measures -Health assessment and Recommendations for further testing -Necessary blood and urine laboratory tests -Recommendations for vaccinations and other preventive measures. -Compiling a personal medicine kit with prescriptions||Expedition doctor|
|-Electrocardiogram -Echocardiogram -Evaluation of the cardiac health and heart disease risk factors||Cardiologist|
|Determination of aerobic (functional) capacity (cardiopulmonary exercise test, CPET)||Sports medicine doctor|
|-Assessment of musculoskeletal, neuromuscular, cardiovascular/pulmonary, and integumentary systems.|
-Identification of problem areas and recommendations for corrective exercises.
|-Create a personal training plan and monitor your progress.|
-Recommend equipment and clothing for your trip.
|Mountaineering and climbing coach|
During the program you will live in luxury apartments in Paliesius mansion with full board.
Trainings will take place in the territory of the manor and its surroundings, hiking with backpacks, rope technique seminars, training in using hiking sticks all while medical specialists monitor your heart activity, monitor blood glucose, lactate concentration, and arterial blood pressure to evaluate how your body reacts to the load. (field testing)
After training, we will help to revive tired muscles with massages, physiotherapy procedures, lymphatic drainage and you can take a refreshing dip in the jacuzzi or warm up in the sauna.
The essence of the program is that during physical training in real conditions, detailed testing is carried out and conclusions and recommendations are given on how to continue preparing for the trip physically, mentally, gear and preparations.
What do you get?
1. Complete medical preparation for the trip: assessment of any health condition, assessment of risk factors, recommendations for mountain disease prevention measures, vaccination recommendations, list of personal medicine and first aid kit with instructions for use and necessary prescriptions.
2. Assessment of physical capacity, recommendations for exercise intensity thresholds based on the determination of aerobic and anaerobic thresholds in a controlled environment (cardiopulmonary test – VO2max), validated under real conditions during field testing and training.
3. Assessment of the musculoskeletal and neuromuscular systems, identification of problem areas and recommendations and training for correction exercises.
4. Physical fitness training plan and progress monitoring.
5. Recommendations for the equipment and clothing required for the trip.
6. Recommendations for a travel plan during the trip (if applicable).
7. Trainings related to safe travel in the mountains: technique of using sticks, technique of climbing / uphill walking, principles of walking on an unstable surface, safe movement on the glacier, introduction to climbing equipment (crampons, ropes, ice axes, etc.).
8. Selection and adjusting a suitable travel backpack.
Cost of program: 600 euro.
Only first day of testing and consultation: 250 euro.